- 3- 28-ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 medium sweet onions, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 10 basil leaves (plus more for garnish)
- Freshly grated Parmesan or sour cream (for garnish, optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours, until flavors are blended and vegetables are soft.
- Allow the soup to cool slightly. Then puree in batches in a blender until very smooth. Serve immediately, or transfer the soup back to the slow cooker and keep on low until your guests arrive.
- Garnish with more fresh basil and some grated Parmesan cheese or even sour cream