For the Donuts:
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup milk, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 large egg
For the Butterscotch:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, 60%
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 425°F and grease donut pan. In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk in milk and egg, mixing until just combined. Fill each cup about 2/3 full. Bake for 8 minutes. Flip donuts onto a rack and let cool.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the brown sugar and cream and whisk until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Increase heat slightly and bring the mixture to a light boil. Cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Whisk in vanilla and remove from heat. Let cool until ready to use. (This can be done ahead of time and stored in the fridge.)
- Toast coconut by pouring it into a dry skillet over medium heat and stirring often, until it is nicely browned. Set aside until ready to use.
- Melt chocolate in a microwave safe bowl at 30 second intervals, stirring between intervals, until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Dip bottom of donut in chocolate and use a spoon to cover bottom as needed. Set chocolate-side up onto a wire rack or a lined plate. Repeat with remaining donuts.
- Set the rack or plate into the freezer for 5-10 minutes, until chocolate is hardened.
- Dip tops of donut into butterscotch sauce, and set back onto rack or plate. Sprinkle coconut on donuts, then, using a fork, drizzle remaining melted chocolate over the tops in lines. Let toppings firm up in the fridge, or enjoy at room temperature.