- Yield: 5 servings
- 1 tablespoon caul fat or any other type of fat
- 1 pound bottom round or sirloin, hand-chopped or ground
- 5 to 6 scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
- 2 tablespoons dry oregano
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons Spanish sweet paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 2 roasted peppers, diced
- Empanada dough discs*
- 10 green olives, pitted
- 3 eggs, hard boiled and sliced
- Oil, for frying
In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon caul fat. Add the chopped meat and white scallion slices, and saute until slightly browned. Add spices and cook until meat is cooked through. Stir in green scallion slices and roasted peppers. Let mixture cool.
Fill empanada discs with meat, add 1 olive and 1 slice of egg. Seal the empanada.
Preheat oil in a deep sauce pot fitted with a frying thermometer to 375 degrees F. Deep fry the empanadas in the oil for about 3 minutes. Remove from oil with slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels.
Or Bake at 350 F for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown